We are not always given choices about what we can and cannot change in life. The sun rises and sets. The tide rises and falls and good and bad things happen all around us and we are but one person in a sea of billions.
Given the Global Pandemic of the Coronavirus it can be difficult to maintain hope when 24 hour news focuses all day and night on what is going wrong and the problems we do or may face.
In reality, life has been on this planet for billions of years and will continue long after we are all gone in some form or another. I myself believe in God and find it helpful to pray and find that faith does improve both how I feel and help me to always remain hopeful versus embracing despair.
Here are some suggestions to embrace hope and fight despair:
- Spend time around positive people (follow CDC guidelines and social distancing of course)
- Speak to friends or family on the phone
- Read a positive book
- Read a religious book
- Repeat the Serenity Prayer
- Exercise – yes this can be done indoors
- Take a nap
- Watch a favorite movie
- Listen to music
- Play a board game
- Play solitaire
- Build something
- Remember that each moment your mind can be thought of as moving more toward the positive or the negative and that you have a choice in how you talk to yourself and how you interpret the world. Do you know any optimistic people. Try to be like them when you feel stressed, it is amazing how some people stay positive no matter what.